Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multi-Tasking - Is it An Effective Time Management Strategy?

qualified surveys that contained 75 questions. This next point is a weakness for me. It is the tendency to work through lunch. I am definitely guilty of this. Remember, the prefrontal cortex where all of our understanding, deciding, recalling, memorizing and inhibiting is done, uses a lot of energy. It's a good idea to take a break in the action and physically remove yourself from your work to concentrate on your meal. Mealtime is refueling time. Think about it. When you take your car to the gas station for a refill you don't leave the engine running while you fill up do you? There's good reason for that. I'm no car mechanic, but it's reasonable to assume that turning the engine off allows the car to be more receptive to fuel being injected and reduces the risk of major mishaps such as sparks from the engine connecting with fuel and causing an explosion! Likewise when refueling your body (and your brain), turn your engines off. Get your energy level back up so that you can function more effectively.

4. Lastly, learn to appreciate the use of the word NO. I've said this before and I really believe this. And so does David Rock. Studies have shown that the average employee spends about 2.5 hours each day dealing with distractions. And once distracted it takes about 25 minutes before you can refocus on your project. For external distractions be OK with pressing "send calls to voicemail" on your neighbor's phone; or ask your buddy to connect during lunch instead so you can stay focused. Additionally, sometimes for high performers the distraction comes in the form of additional projects and responsibilities. If your docket is full, don't be embarrassed to admit it. Taking on a new project when you're already stretched to your limits is not wise. If saying no is not an option, consider discussing expectations and priorities with your manager. What are the expectations and how realistic are they? What is most important to the business at this time? And what are the consequences if things begin falling through the cracks because you have too much to handle?The reality is, if we are honest, we have to admit that multi-tasking as we have come to know it does not always benefit our business. We don't get more done in less time. It actually takes us longer to get things done right if the quality and accuracy of our work is important to us. Whenever we are rushed or pressured to get more things done faster there is a high likelihood that the quality and accuracy will be compromised. So the question we should be asking ourselves (and our managers) is: what's most important at this time - is it the amount of work we can get done in a finite amount of time, or is it the quality of our output? There is ample research that supports the fact that as quantity of work increases, quality of work decreases. We should therefore decide which one is most important to our businesses and to us - quantity or quality. Pick one 'cause it can't be both.docket management